Monday, October 8, 2012

David Lynch Is Neat

Currently considering changing my blog title and description to: American College Language Student Blog - "Four years of earnestly & severely misunderstood assignments."

Been reading Lynch on Lynch.

Laughed out loud in library due to this:



I like how David Lynch doesn't seem pretentious or try to suggest he's 'extraordinary.' Seems 'humble.'

I remember the first time I heard David Lynch talk in some interview I found on YouTube  His voice was not at all what I expected; he has an excitement to his voice and chooses 'modest' words I thought. I noticed this in the book, he's always laughing and saying things with exclamation points! I liked that!

Here are some of the quotes I marked (all in response to an interviewer who's text I didn't include):

"These are good organizations, but somewhere along the line they became so not cool that it wasn't funny! And it became so not cool during the years that I was in the boy scouts! So it was almost like an embarrassment, and a shameful sort of thing. It just wasn't hip. And an eagle scout is the top! I became one so I could quit, and put it behind me. And my father, bless his heart, used to say, 'One day, you'll be proud that you did that.' So I put it on my resume!"

"An accurate memory of the past would be depressing, probably."

"I'd like to bite my paintings, but I can't because there's lead in the paint. Which means I'm kind of chicken. I don't feel I've really gotten in there yet, and the paintings still seem safe and tranquil to me."

"We all find this book of riddles and it's just what's going on. And you can figure them out. The problem is, you figure them out inside yourself, and even if you told somebody, they wouldn't believe you or understand it in the same way you do. You'd suddenly realize that the communication wasn't 100 per cent."

"That's not crazy! Get real, Chris!" [Re Werner Herzog threatening to shoot people on set]

"There's something very disturbing about that amount of electricity -- they know these things now. A tumour grows in the head. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not, you know, whacking you."

"And in the middle of this thing the man stood up and screamed: 'PEOPLE DON'T ACT LIKE THAT! PEOPLE DON'T TALK LIKE THAT! THIS IS BULLSHIT!' And out he went. But, like, really upset. And Ron, the projectionist upstairs, heard this and everybody was just looking at each other. So I thought, 'Man!', you know, 'This is gonna be really difficult."

"But your going to turn the radio on! Failure's the only solution!"

"What's scary is when someone gets your number and they seem to know you, whether it's imagined or real."


Watched Mulholland Dr. a couple nights ago. Watched some with roommates, some alone. I kept saying "The thing on her head... it's... I want it to go away... or be acknowledged," or something about the visible wound on a characters head.

Seems I've previously chosen to watch other movies of his because I didn't know how to pronounce 'Mulholland' and didn't know if the 'Dr.' meant 'drive' or 'doctor.'

Had 'shit-tons' of thoughts, emotions, ideas, and felt less lonely while feeling 'severely alone' while watching this movie.

I liked this movie and all the other David Lynch things I've seen.

1 comment: