Saturday, September 29, 2012

Interview Profile Editing Publishing

In editing and publishing class we interviewed each other with the intention to use our answers to help write a 'personal profile.'

I like the things the person I interviewed said and thought 'I feel energetic and excited' during the interview.

"What stories or issues you feel your generation need to bring out and make the public aware?" is the only question the instructor said we 'needed' to ask each other.

My three person group (we were the only three person group, I think) discussed this question a little bit after our interviews.

Someone talked about how they felt dislike for the word 'generation.' There was talk about this.

Some notable things to me from group talk:

"I feel aversion to the word 'generation' or 'generation defining' writing. It seems like there will always be people that feel misrepresented by their 'generation'. For example, it is a 'stereotype' that Irish people have loved getting drunk, going to pubs, eating potatoes, throughout history. But it seems likely, even obvious, that many Irish people didn't like those things. Feel like I can only say 'generation' with some degree of sarcasm."

"Some things that seem 'important' are related to the internet and digital stuff. In terms of communication, I think its making it 'difficult' to interact in 'authentic' ways. People, including me, explore things that 'interest' them using computers, video games, music, or whatever media and get deep into this world of things that 'interests' them, but they are so deep in their 'own world' it becomes difficult to experience these things with others. There seems to be a real problem with loneliness in our generation. But I also think that's probably always been a problem to every generation."

"I also don't think this is just digital stuff, the same problems could be applied to sports or something. Look at how much information is available now regarding sports. Seems people are confused about all the information available to them. Maybe that relates to the internet. I don't know."

There were other things said re loneliness that also seemed notable that I can't remember currently.

Here are some books I think either the author or other people have said 'define my generation' that interest me currently:

Person, by Sam Pink

Richard Yates, by Tao Lin

Best Behavior, by Noah Cicero

Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee, by Megan Boyle



No comments:

Post a Comment