Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fiction Seminar First Day

When we introduced ourselves at the beginning of class we said a tid-bit re names, hometown, and what we want to do with our writing.

The first three people seemed to ignore saying the part about what they wanted to do with their writing, and it seemed it might continue this way around the room. The instructor noticed and changed this. The first person said 'I want to improve my writing.'

I said 'improve my writing.' Then thought, 'I want to say "That's probably inaccurate."'

What do you want to do with writing.

Teacher asked this after writing the 'major periods of literature' on the board later.
Asked us to relate it to one of the 'major periods of literature' or what one we relate to most.

I wrote really fast and 'sloppily'. Noticed the people on both sides of me had written about 3x as much in neat print. We were probably only given ~10 mins at the end of class. Could have been anywhere from 10 mins to 1 hour. ~22% likely it was an hour. ~50%-70% it was longer than an hour. I don't know.

When we were asked to turn them in, I wrote a note apologizing for the

Felt weird writing on paper instead of computer. Editing and deleting seems difficult on paper. Thought, 'seems funny that I'm having trouble writing down a goal when i can't edit and change it.'

Instructor recomended we could 'think of ourselves as a character, maybe write in third person.' seemed to also say  'this is very informal, just do it quickly.' Unsure if she actually said that. Probably didn't.

I wrote in third person. I wrote stuff. Of the things on the board, I felt I had the most 'attraction' towards 'existentialism', followed by 'surrealism' 'realism' and 'post-modernism.' While writing, I based my view of these things on the small discussion we had in class about them and, to a lesser degree, my previous knowledge/was attracted to things artists I like have been associated with.

I have often felt some kind of aversion to answering the question 'what do I want to do with my writing.'

Feel aversion to the word 'want.'

Currently feeling aversion to the word 'aversion.'

'I want to have a better response to this question,' seems almost sarcastic.

I will probably think about this question more in the future a lot while writing.

Been feeling attracted towards the word 'honesty' like a girl I like that doesn't like me or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment