Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sam Pink Interview


I first read Sam Pink related things ~1-2 years ago, I think it was this interview. I copy and pasted 'Sam Pink' and searched for things on the internet. I recommend copying and pasting 'Sam Pink' and perusing the videos, interviews, arts, and writings.

I then purchased the novel Person, and read it in two 'sittings' on consecutive days.

While reading Sam Pink's writings, I have laughed out loud while alone more than when reading any other writings.

Info re his published books is available on his blog: CROWN YOURSELF THEN KILL YOURSELF.

Sam Pink recently went on a book tour, released four songs with Kelly Schirmann, and gave up.

The collection of songs is titled "You Ruined It" by Young Family. Sometimes while listening to these songs I think "literary" with ~0%-5% sarcasm while kind of dancing and feeling emotional. Other times I have listened to it prefunking before social things and felt neat.

The following interview was conducted in one communication. I sent Sam Pink an email asking if I could interview him and included these questions. He replied via email.



If someone held a loaded gun to your head and said "Describe your view of yourself in high school!" what do you think you might say?

I’d ask him/her to kill me with the gun.    


Have you ever been in a physical fight and 'lost'? Have you ever 'won' a physical fight? 

Jesus luh you no matter what. 


Do you vote/have you voted in government elections?

I have not voted. 


If you, Mitt Romney, and Barack Obama found yourselves sitting in a room together for no apparent reason and unsure/unconcerned with the events that led you to being in this room together (like your having a dream or something) what are some things you think might be said by you or them?  

If I was sad, I wouldn’t say anything except for hello.  If I was in a weird mood, I would just keep saying, “[something] head”  like: “skittle head”  “jizz head”  “call me quesadilla head”  [other things], then laugh. 


When playing with Pogs, do you have any unique techniques? If you found someone to play Pogs with you again would you stop writing? Re this http://hobart.typepad.com/hobart/2009/03/sam-pink-is-the-dictator-an-interview-with-sam-pink.html.

My experience with pogs was that I didn’t like it but I wanted this bronze looking mortal kombat slammer so I cut this old lady’s lawn and bought the slammer and didn’t really do anything with it but carry it around.  It had the mortal kombat dragon on it.  It was six dollars.  


When do you feel you first 'got serious' about writing/art? Or, if you didn't 'got serious,' when did you first start seeking publication/distribution of your writing/art?

Not sure.  I was writing things like the short things from “clone” years before clone came out.  And when I found out about online writing I’d send them out and everyone was like “these aren’t stories they’re just scenes.”  So I read some of the magazines I was sending things to, and it seemed like they all wanted things about families/being a man/you know, so I’d copy and paste stories from their websites together and submit them.  And a few got accepted and I was like “no don’t publish that” but they did anyway.  Then I started a blog and people started asking for writing.  Cookie head, muscle head.  Ninja turtle head.      


What was your contribution to the band "Young Family" with Kelly Schirmann? Did you write lyrics, play instruments, or like what? What was the 'collaborative process' of creating music with Kelly like? Re this http://youngfamily.bandcamp.com/.

I made all the music and mixed everything.  Kelly did the vocals and wrote the lyrics too.  The collaborative process was me making a song that I judged by whether or not I did dance moves to it.  Then I’d send it to Kelly.  She recorded the vocals into her computer without a microphone.  Then I’d mix it all together.   I feel very good about working with Kelly.  Kelly dance head.  We’re making another ep, called “king cobra.”  


What are some thoughts you have, if any, when you look at the words 'Bellingham, Washington'?

I have vague thoughts about wanting to live somewhere in washington, like in a forest.  I imagine myself waking up alone in a small house and standing outside in a robe drinking coffee then firing off a shotgun into the air numerous times to begin my day, then going inside and sitting on the floor drawing pictures while mumbling “titty head”  and “super Nintendo head.” 


What are some thoughts you have, if any, when you look at these words 'rich, privileged, people, art, money, sex, phony, jesus'?

Seems like the title for a “post punk” (or whatever) band from roughly three to four years ago. 


What foods have you been eating a lot of recently?

A steady diet of imaginary shit. 


Are there any movies/music/media other than books that has been released recently that you recommend or feel excited about?

Lately the only thing that seems genuinely exciting is staying up all night and playing a “resident evil” game.  I don’t have any videogames or a videogame system but I really want to play resident evil.  Do they still make resident evil games.  I’d like to play one with a room full of people who just listen to me play/make comments about the game.    


Sometimes in English classes the question "What is the point?" or "What is the cultural significance?" gets asked. What might your response to these questions be regarding your writing?

Other people seem way better than me at answering this.  So I’m going to not say anything.  Muppet head. Barbecue baby head.     


When writing or editing, have you had friends that help you edit/interact with the material directly or is the creation of your art/writing usually a completely solo thing?

No.  Cameron Pierce (editor at lazy fascist) will be like “hey, you used a hyphen in the first instance of ‘ugly-retarded asswipe’ then not in the second instance.  I think  I like the hyphen.”   Other than things like that, it’s just me reading the work over and over until there’s nothing I would change.  Sometimes I’ll read something newer at a reading and that helps me see the dumb shit in the work because right before I read each sentence I’ll think “this one’s good, this one’s not.” 


When I think 'Sam Pink,' or maybe 'Sam Pink's Persona' -- or maybe something like 'The Surface of Sam Pink'-- I sometimes see it relating to people I don't really like, for example people who make rude comments in a sadistic way, or sort of like the tattoo artists you mentioned in an interview where you said, "but the guys have some kind of weird ego thing like, “i can draw a fucking skull with a snake in it, i’m awesome,”" or you frequently mention how people say things about how you seem scary and unapproachable but are so nice once you are approached. I, and I think most others who have read your work agree to a degree, don't see any of this 'meanness' or 'phoniness' I see in these other people in you or your work. It seems people often say there is a 'humanness' or something to your work. Do you have any thoughts about why you maybe seem so 'human' or 'honest' or 'authentic' to many people? ...'How do you keep it real Sam?' is maybe what I'm getting at with this question.  

Keeping it real means hating yourself.  I’m serious.  I’m not trying to be a dramatic teenager.  It’s so important not to overly like yourself.  Try to look at yourself like another object happening, only showing prejudice when it happens naturally and without sole interest in protecting yourself, a person you don’t even necessarily like.  If you constantly supervise yourself and judge yourself, you’ll most likely avoid “unreal/phony” situations.  Now I’ll comment on the “unapproachable” thing.  If people approach me because they want to talk about my writing/books or whatever, I feel it’s impolite not to.  I let people approach me because they make me feel honored by respecting me and talking to me about writing, which is personal.  I don’t want to be a disrespectful person to someone.  I think maybe people think the writing is human because it doesn’t shy away from saying things like “ I want to murder everyone in Chicago.”  Actually I don’t have opinions on what “human” means.   


How did you first become involved with Muumuu House or writers affiliated with Muumuu House? Seems, from what I've read regarding you, you probably met Tao Lin or Noah Cicero through one of you liking each others writing, is that somewhat true? Seems true... seems true... What was becoming involved in this 'scene' like for you?


The general answer is that it’s been someone liking my writing/me liking theirs and then we email and meet each other and become friends.  I’d say that the people who are identified with muumuu house have been the nicest/most polite/interesting/friendly/compatible people I’ve met, aside from a few other people.  I feel really uncomfortable around people usually, like an itch almost.  But I’ve met some very lovely people. 


Do you ever notice yourself thinking 'I'm not doing enough' and feel confused about what enough would be?


Yes.  I get uncomfortable when I’m not doing something.  But then again, no one needs me here/doing anything. Jigsaw head man.  Pebble head.  Brontosaurus head. 


Do you have any recommendations/suggestions/tid-bits for young writers who want to pursue writing/art?  

Just make things you like and then whatever happens happens.  You won’t feel validated getting published anywhere/making money/anything other than making something you can read and like, or at least like having written.  Haunted grave.  Haunted grave and Jizz Head fight the holy war.  Holy head.  Skittle head.     


What is the bottom line?

The bottom line is:  In chi-town, you in my-town, it’s kill or die motherfucker, kill or die.

6 comments:

  1. Cool...now I want to figure out who the hell Sam Pink is...or at least read a bit of his writing...skittle head

    ReplyDelete
  2. fuck yeah, braaaaaaa

    the account of initial publishing credentials: the truth, motheruckerrrrrr, FTW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting excited to read “Person” I just purchased. I became even more excited after reading your blog post. I just have to finish my college papers and then I'm up to sitting until I finish reading it.

    ReplyDelete